Salted Caramel Frosting is probably one of the easiest and most versatile cake frostings to make. Basically, you just beat together butter and cream cheese, then you add powdered sugar and salted caramel sauce.
It is made without heavy cream and is lower in fat than standard buttercream because half of the butter is replaced with cream cheese. Originally it is made with white powdered sugar, but there is no reason not to try using brown powdered sugar instead.
For this recipe I used my homemade Salted Caramel Sauce.
If you are not fond of the salty taste, you can replace it with regular Caramel Sauce as well.
Salted Caramel Frosting is ready in minutes and you can use it everywhere: as an icing for your yellow cake or chocolate cake (or any other cake for that matter), as frosting for cupcakes and brownies – wherever you like.
- 1 cup (8 ounces; 225 g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup (2 sticks; 225 g) butter, room temperature
- 1½ - 3 cups (125 - 375 g) powdered sugar
- 1 cup Salted Caramel Sauce
- Beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix to incorporate.
- Add caramel sauce and beat again to combine. Use on every dessert imaginable.
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food. —