Try to guess why is Kremsnita (cream slice) the most popular cake dessert in Croatia?
KREMSNITE (Custard Slices Recipe)
Author: Kitchen Nostalgia
- 2 (500 g or 1 lb) puff pastry sheets, baked
- 200 g (1½ cup) cornstarch
- 9 eggs, separated
- 12 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp rum
- 1 liter (4 cups) milk
- 1 liter (4 cups) water
- Mix cornstarch, egg yolks, sugar, vanilla, rum and a few tablespoons cold milk.
- Boil remaining milk with water in a double boiler.
- Add egg mixture to milk and continue to cook until thick, stirring very frequently.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into the custard.
- Place one layer of puff pastry on bottom of baking dish. Spread evenly with custard. (You can add a layer of whipped cream on top of custard, if you like.) Cut the second pastry sheet into 20 squares. Lay the squares over custard, pressing down slightly. Refrigerate. Sprinkle with powdered sugar on top.
Spaghetti can be eaten most successfully if you inhale it like a vacuum cleaner.