Croatian Sarma is a savory dish of cabbage leaves rolled around a minced meat filling.
Croatian SARMA (Recipe for Stuffed Cabbage Rolls)
- 250 g (0.5 lb) ground beef
- 250 g (0.5 lb) ground pork
- 100 g (3.5 oz) smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 50 g (1.7 oz) rice
- salt, pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 large head soured cabbage
- 500 g (1 lb) Sauerkraut (chopped soured cabbage)
- 250 g (0.5 lb) smoked pork ribs
- smoked meat: smoked ham, smoked sausages, smoked bacon…
- 1 cup tomato juice
- Sauté onion in oil. Add meat, bacon and rice. Fry for few minutes. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, nutmeg and garlic. Let cool, then add 2 eggs. Place heaping tablespoon of meat mixture at core end of each cabbage leaf and roll up, tucking ends in.
- Line casserole bottom with ½ inch chopped cabbage (Sauerkraut). Place cabbage rolls (sarma) on top, placing them seam-side down. Add another layer of chopped cabbage, then layer of smoked pork ribs and smoked meat. Arrange sauerkraut on top.
- Add enough water to cover rolls. Add tomato juice. Cover and simmer for about 2 to 3 hours.
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food. —