World’s best Ginger Bread Cake recipe adapted from Jules Food and The English Kitchen. The caramel sauce looked great, but turned out to be too sweet for my taste, so I served it with lemon frozen yogurt.
- 6 fl oz honey (original recipe calls for dark treacle and Golden Syrup, but I used honey instead)
- 5.6 oz (3/4 cup, packed) dark muscovado sugar
- 10 fl oz (1¼ cups) of boiling water
- 8½ oz (2 cups) of plain flour
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 1 /2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 2¼ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 large egg
- Combine honey and dark muscovado sugar with boiling water. Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
- Whisk together the flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, cream together the butter and white sugar until light and fluffy with an electric whisk. Beat the egg into the creamed mixture. On low speed add the cooled syrup mixture. Stir in the dry ingredients only to blend. Pour into buttered and floured 9 inch square baking tin.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand. —