200 g (7 oz) candied pineapple and pears
100 g (4 oz) candied citron
250 g (0.5 lb) halved red and green candied cherries
300 g (10 oz) pecans, almonds and hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
400 g (0.9 lb) raisins
8 cl (5 Tbs)sherry
225 g (8 oz) butter
450 g (1 lb) sugar
pinch of salt
pinch of nutmeg
450 g (1 lb) flour
2 tsp. baking powder
- Combine pineapple, pears, citron, cherries, pecans, almonds, hazelnuts and raisins. Pour in sherry; mix well. Cover and let stand at room temperature over night.
- Preheat oven to 135 C (275 F). Line 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with parchment (baking) paper.
- Combine flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In large bowl cream butter with sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, salt and nutmeg. Stir in flour mixture just until blended; stir in fruit mixture. Turn into prepared pans.
- Bake for 2 1/2 hours on lower-middle rack of oven. Remove from pans. Remove paper and let cool completely on rack.
To store: Wrap cooled fruitcake in aluminum foil and store in refrigerator for 4 weeks.
Seize the moment. Remember all those women on the ‘Titanic’ who waved off the dessert cart.