I went through several recipes for Lemon Crinkle Cookies from scratch (without cake mix). I’ve never made crinkle cookies before, so it was not easy to decide which recipe to try. In the end I decided to play it safe and try the award winning recipe from LDS Magazine. The winner of best cookie recipe was the Lemon Crinkle Cookie by Lauren Brennan from Lauren’s Latest. The cookies turned out fine, but if I make it again next time, I would add a little bit more baking powder (or baking soda) to get more crinkles.
- ½ cups butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 whole egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cups powdered sugar, for rolling
- In a bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add egg, vanilla extract, lemon juice and zest and mix.
- Stir in remaining ingredients (except powdered sugar) until just combined.
- Pour powdered sugar into a shallow dish. Take a part of the dough, roll it into a walnut size ball and roll in powdered sugar. Place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Repeat with remaining dough.Bake in 350 degrees F oven for about 10 minutes or until bottoms of cookies begin to barely brown. Cool cookies before removing from baking sheet.
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.