Gooey golden caramel filling in shortbread base, lined with sliced fresh bananas and topped with whipped cream.
- 2 cups (0.5 lb 250 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (1.7 oz 50 g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick 4 oz, 125 g) butter
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons (4 oz 125 g) sugar
- 2 cups (0.5 lb 250 g) whipping cream
- 3 large bananas
- 4 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups (10 oz 300 g) whipped cream
CRUST: Mix flour, sugar and butter until they are just blended together (add just a little bit of water or milk, if necessary). Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll the dough out to fit your pie plate. Place crust in the pie plate and press it evenly into the bottom and sides of the plate. Prick it all over with a fork. Bake for about 20 minutes in 350 F (180 C) preheated oven. Cool completely.
FILLING: In a saucepan, melt sugar until lightly caramelized. Add cream and cook, stirring, until caramel melts and mixture thickens. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
TO ASSEMBLE: Split bananas lengthwise and dip them in lemon juice (this will prevent bananas from turning brown). Place banana slices on the cooled pie crust. Top with caramel cream mixture. Refrigerate until filling thickens. Top with whipped cream and serve.