The recipe for this Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie was published on my site 5 years ago. At that time I didn’t take any photos of the recipes so this one remained without images. Last few days I finally found time to take pictures of the pie so that I can share them with you.
Homemade pie crust is filled with sweet and silky chocolate cream, resembling chocolate pudding. It is topped with meringue which is baked in the oven for only 10 minutes – just enough to get slightly golden color.
- 1 (9 inch) baked homemade pie crust
- 1 ¼ cup Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Cocoa
- 4 Tbsp Cornstarch
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 2 ½ cup Milk
- 3 Egg yolks; beaten
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 3 Egg whites
- 3-5 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 pn Cream of tartar (or a a few drops of lemon juice or white vinegar)
- Mix together 1 ¼ c sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt in a double boiler.
- Add milk and egg yolks and cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly.
- Stir in butter and vanilla. Pour into baked pie shell. Chill.
- Meringue: Add 3 tb sugar and pinch of cream of tartar to egg whites. Beat until stiff peaks. Spread over cooled chocolate filling and bake at 350 F (175 C) until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.