I started creating this no-bake dessert by following Martha Stewart’s simple recipe for Pumpkin Icebox Pie. Then I divided the filling in two parts, added some melted chocolate to one part, pouring it in into a pie shell and then pouring second part of pumpkin filling over it and topped it all with whipped cream. After chilling and cutting I got fantastic festive triple layer mousse pie which, in my opinion, is perfect for your Thanksgiving Table.
- FOR THE CRUST:
- 2 cups cinnamon graham cracker crumbs
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 3 tsp powdered gelatin, unflavored
- 3½ cups (1 can; 29 oz; 822 g) pumpkin puree
- 4 oz (113 g) cream cheese
- 1½ cups (1 can; 12 oz; 354 ml) evaporated milk
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 4 oz (113 g) semisweet chocolate, melted
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
- CRUST: In a food processor, combine graham crackers crumbs, sugar and butter. Press crumbs in bottom and up sides of a 9-inch baking dish. Bake in 325 degrees preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes. Let cool.
- FILLING: In a small bowl, combine gelatin with ¼ cup cold water and let stand 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree and cream cheese until smooth.
- In a small saucepan, combine evaporated milk, sugar and pumpkin spice and bring to a simmer. Add gelatin mixture and stir until gelatin is dissolved. Pour into pumpkin mixture and whisk until blended.
- Pour half of the filling into a separate bowl and stir in the melted chocolate until evenly blended. Pour the chocolate filling into the cooled pie shell and gently shake the pan to settle the filling. Carefully ladle the remaining plain pumpkin filling over the chocolate layer. Refrigerate for about 3 hours.
- TOPPING: Before serving, whip cream until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar. Top pie with whipped cream.
My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished 2 bags of M&M’s and a chocolate cake. I feel better already.