A rich savory Greek pie with a filling of chopped spinach, feta cheese, egg, onions and dill seasoning wrapped in flaky phyllo dough.
- 1 lb phyllo pastry sheets
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 lb frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ lb cottatge cheese
- ½ lb crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ cup fresh dill, chopped (or 3 Tbsp dried)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Lightly oil a 9×9 inch square baking pan.
- Chop onion and garlic very finely in a blender or food processor.
- In a medium bowl, mix together spinach, eggs, cottatge cheese and feta. Stir in 2 Tbsp olive oil, onion, garlic, nutmeg and dill. Season with salt and pepper.
- Layer half of the phyllo pastry in the baking pan, making sure to brush each sheet lightly with the olive oil. Spread out the spinach mixture in an even layer. Fold overhanging dough over filling. Layer remaining phyllo pastry on top, brushing each layer with olive oil.
- Bake in 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) preheated oven for about 50 minutes, or until golden brown. Cut into squares and serve.
Ice-cream is exquisite. What a pity it isn’t illegal.