2 egg whites
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. honey
1 c. light corn syrup
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup water
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. butter, softened
1 c. blanched hazelnuts , lightly toasted
9 oz. blanched whole almonds , lightly toasted
large wafer sheets
- Whip the egg whites till stiffened.
- Combine sugar, honey, corn syrup, salt, and water in a saucepan. Continue cooking over medium heat until a candy thermometer temperature registers 260 degrees F.
- Slowly pour in a thin stream into egg whites, while the mixer is running.
- Add vanilla and butter, beating until thickened again. With wooden spoon, stir in toasted nuts.
- Pour into a square baking tin lined with a sheet of wafer . Top with another wafer, cover with a wooden board, and weight the board down. Let stand for 30 minutes.
Ice-cream is exquisite. What a pity it isn’t illegal. —