This is Neapolitan-vegetarian version of famous Italian spaghetti alla puttanesca (or “whore’s style spaghetti”, pardon my language) which is prepared without anchovies. If you like, you can add 3 anchovies in Step 2, together with garlic, olives and capers.
The sauce is traditionally served with spaghetti, although you can serve it with any other type of pasta.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup minced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¾ cup pitted olives, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp capers
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- ⅓ cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over a medium flame. Add the onions and saute until soft.
- Add garlic, olives, capers, red pepper flakes and oregano to the skillet, and saute for 2 minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes and parsley and simmer until sauce is thicken slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with pasta (like spaghetti) and grated Parmesan cheese.
A party without cake is just a meeting. —