Quinoa Porridge is an interesting alternative to oatmeal. It is healthy and nutritious breakfast which makes a great start to the day. It can even be served as a light afternoon dessert – warm or cold.
- 1 cup quinoa, thoroughly rinsed to remove a bitter taste
- 1 cup coconut milk or other milk of choice
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon flax seeds
- 1/4 vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom, optional
- 1 teaspoon honey or sweetener
- raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, currants
- dried fruits
- chopped nuts
Place coconut milk and water in a pan over high heat. Add quinoa, flax seeds, vanilla extract and cardamom. Cook, stirring occasionally, until all liquid is absorbed and quinoa is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
Add some more milk, berries, dried fruits or some chopped nuts for more protein. Serve with a dollop of whipped coconut cream (or Greek yogurt) and sprinkle with desiccated coconut.