500 g (1 lb 2 oz) flour
3.5 g yeast
2 egg yolks
100 g butter
500 g walnuts
300 g poppy seeds
600 ml milk
550 g sugar
1 oz rum
100 g raisins
- In a small bowl, stir yeast, a teaspoon of sugar and flour and 1/2 dcl (1/2 cup) milk. Let stand in a warm place for45 minutes.
- On pastry board, sift flour, add other ingredients and mix everything together in a soft dough. Transfer the dough into a clean pan sprinkled with flour, cover it with a cloth and put in a warm place to rise for about 30-40 minutes.
- While the dough ferments, prepare fillings. Boil the milk and add sugar.
- In one bowl, put the ground walnuts, and in another ball put poppy seeds. In both vessels add raisins soaked in rum, lemon peel, and mix. Pour hot milk over each mixture and stir.
- Divide dough into two parts. Roll one part of the dough to the width of the baking pan. Add poppy seed filling and roll the dough.
- Roll the other part of the dough to the width of the baking pan. Add walnut filling and roll the dough.
- Place both loaves into a greased baking dish. Put some melted butter between loafs so that loafs don’t stick together. Brush loaves with egg yolk , let them rise for another 15 minutes.
- Put povitica in the 180 C oven for approx. 60 minutes.