100 g (3.5 oz) sugar
200 ml (8 fl oz) milk
30 g (1 oz) yeast
600 g (1 lb 5 oz) flour
150 g (5 oz) butter, melted
4 egg yolks
1/2 tsp salt
400 g (0.9 lb) wallnuts, ground
4 egg whites
200 g (7 oz) sugar
100 ml (4 fl oz) milk, scalded
1 tsp rum
- DOUGH: Dissolve the sugar in warm milk, blend in the yeast and leave for 15 minutes. Mix together flour, yeast, salt, butter and egg yolks to make a dough. Beat with a wooden spoon until blisters begin to form on the dough. Cover and let stand in a warm place until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- FILLING: Beat egg whites until stiff. Pour the scalded milk over the walnuts. Combine with sugar and rum. Allow to cool. Gently fold in beaten egg whites.
- ASSEMBLE: Spread flour on a large table-cloth. Divide the dough into two sections. Roll each section out very thin (on the table-cloth) and fill with wallnut filling. Roll by filling the edge of the table-cloth on which the dough was rolled out.
- Put 100 ml (4 fl oz) of oil in the bread pan. Place the rolls into the pan. Put in refrigerator over night.
- Brush the rolls with melted butter and bake at 175 C (350 F) for about 40 minutes or until they become golden. Let cool in the pan.