100 g (3.5 oz) butter
1 dl (4 fl oz; 1/2 cup) water
100 g (3.5 oz) flour
4 egg yolks
4 Tbsp sugar
4 Tbsp flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 l (1 pint) milk
4 egg whites
- PASTRY: Put butter and water in small saucepan; stir over high heat until melted. Add flour all at once and beat vigorously for 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time and blend until smooth. Beat fast until smooth and fluffy.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Place in preheated oven and bake at 350 F (175 C) for 20-30 minutes. Do not open oven door while it is baking.
- Let cool. Cut off tops. Fill with custard filling; replace tops. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.
- CUSTARD FILLING: Mix egg yolks, sugar, flour and a few tablespoons cold milk.
- Boil remaining milk.
- Add egg mixture to milk and continue to cook until thick, stirring frequently.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into the custard.
- Refrigerate until thick.