SARMA (Croatian Stuffed Cabbage Rolls) is a savory dish of cabbage leaves rolled around a minced meat filling.
SARMA (Croatian Stuffed Cabbage Rolls) - savory dish of cabbage leaves rolled around a minced meat filling
- 250 g (0.5 lb) ground beef
- 250 g (0.5 lb) ground pork
- 100 g (3.5 oz) smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 50 g (1.7 oz) rice
- salt, pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 large head soured cabbage
- 500 g Sauerkraut 1 lb, chopped soured cabbage
- 250 g smoked pork ribs 0.5 lb
- smoked meat: smoked ham smoked sausages, smoked bacon…
- 1 cup tomato juice
Sauté onion in oil. Add meat, bacon and rice. Fry for few minutes. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, nutmeg and garlic. Let cool, then add 2 eggs. Place heaping tablespoon of meat mixture at core end of each cabbage leaf and roll up, tucking ends in.
Line casserole bottom with 1/2 inch chopped cabbage (Sauerkraut). Place cabbage rolls (sarma) on top, placing them seam-side down. Add another layer of chopped cabbage, then layer of smoked pork ribs and smoked meat. Arrange sauerkraut on top.
Add enough water to cover rolls. Add tomato juice. Cover and simmer for about 2 to 3 hours.