500 g (1 lb) puff pastry
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon water
1/2 l (2 cups) milk
200 g (7 oz) flour
100 ml (1/2 cup) water
200 g (7 oz) sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
50 – 100 g (1.7 – 3.5 oz) butter
- Preheat oven to 200 C (392 F).
- Grease cream horn metal cones.
- Roll out the puff pastry to a 1/2 – inch thickness. Using a sharp knife, cut long strips about 1/4 inch wide. Wrap the pastry around the cone, starting at the point of the cone.
- Combine egg yolk and water; brush over entire pastry. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until puffy and golden. Cool before filling.
- FILLING: Mix ½ cup cold milk with eggs and flour.
- Cook water, sugar and 1 ½ cup milk. Remove from heat, add egg mixture to milk and continue to cook until thick, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat; beat in vanilla extract and butter. Cool completely before filling.
- Fill cream horns, using pastry bag.