M&M cookies are one of the kids’ favorite cookies. Your children will love helping you to top them with candies.
I wanted to make them chewy, moist and soft, so I used the recipe for my Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies. The only difference is that this time I didn’t brown the butter. Instead, I just melted the half of it and then mixed it with the other half of unmelted butter.
In my last post, I explained in detail the whole science behind making the best cookies. I will not repeat the whole explanation here. Just to remind ourselves, let’s look at the cheat-sheet infographics:
- 1 cup ½ all-purpose flour 125 g
- cup ¾ cake flour* 95 g
- teaspoon ½ baking soda
- teaspoon ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter 6 oz; 170g
- cup ½ packed fresh and moist brown sugar dark or light, 3 1/2 ounces; 100g
- cup ¼ white granulated sugar 2 ounces; 50g
- 1 tsp honey or corn syrup or molasses
- teaspoon ½ salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 cup M&M candies
Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper (parchment paper). Do not greese the paper or cookies will spread. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C).
In a medium bowl, combine both flours with baking soda and baking powder and set aside.
In a saucepan, melt half of the butter over medium heat. Transfer to a large bowl and add remaining unmelted butter. Stir until combined. (If your butter melts completely, put it in the refrigerator or freezer for a few minutes until it has consistency of a firm yogurt or cream).
Add brown sugar, white sugar, honey, salt and vanilla. Whisk (with a hand whisk, no mixer needed) until incorporated. Add egg and yolk and continue whisking until mixture is smooth. If you want your cookies to have cracked surface, let the mixture stand for 10 minutes at this point.
Using rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just combined. Do not overmix. Stir in M&M candies.
Take 2 tablespoons of dough at a time and roll into balls. Place 2 inches apart on lined baking sheets. Top each cookie with some more candies to make them look pretty.
Bake in preheated oven, 1 sheet at a time on the middle rack, until cookies are puffy and slightly brown, about 10 to 12 minutes (depending on your oven). Cookie centers should still be soft. Rotate baking sheet halfway through baking. Cool the M&M cookies on the sheets.
* If you don't have cake flour at hand, you can substitute it with homemade cake flour. Add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch to a 1 cup measure. Fill up the rest with the all-purpose flour. This is your cake flour. You will need ¾ cup of this mixture for this recipe.
Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies
– fluffy, chewy and moist. Learn the SCIENCE behind it!
I think any kid loves M&Ms. There’s even a big tendency that they will chip out that M&M out of the cookies Anyway, if the cookie is cooked just right like in the blog, the kids will really enjoy eating it.