Sweet Potato Oat Balls – delicious no bake protein bites; boost your energy after work-out and give your kinds a healthy afternoon snack; prepared in 5 min.
Sweet Potato Oat Balls are as healthy as it gets. Full of fiber, carotenoids, vitamins, minerals, healthy omega acids, natural sugars, seeds and nuts. Plus they are super easy to prepare: mix all ingredietns and shape into balls. No baking or cooking needed.
It is unusual to use sweet potato in this type of recipe. I think it works perfectly. It is just moist enough to bind other ingredients together, gives natural sweetness to the mix, yet you cannot really taste it.
This recipe is very flexible. You can add more ingredients like raisins, shredded coconut and sesame seeds, or change it any other way you like it.
Sweet Potato Oat Balls can be used as a healthy dessert, small after school bites or after-workout protein power snack.
- 1 cup sweet potato puree*
- 4 Tbsp honey or agave syrup or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups rolled oats, uncooked
- 1 Tbsp flax seeds, ground
- 1 cup nuts (almonds walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, cashews, pistachios, etc), chopped or ground
- 1/2 cup cocoa nibs or chocolate chips
- optional: raisins, shredded coconut, sesame seeds
Put sweet potato puree into a large bowl. Add honey, cinnamon and vanilla. Mix with a spoon.
Add oats, flax seeds, nuts and chocolate chips. Mix until combined.
Roll into 1 inch balls. Keep in the fridge in a closed container.
*To make sweet potato puree, mash cooked or baked sweet potato with a fork or blender.