Christmas Sangria is a fantastic drink for gatherings with friends and holiday celebrations. Unlike other sangria recipes, this one is very easy to prepare in a few minutes by mixing everyday ingredients which you probably already have at home.
Red wine is mixed with brandy (or rum or vodka), assortment of winter fruits (like persimmon, pomegranate, tangerine, lemon, lime, kiwi), fruit juices (orange, cherry), spices and Sprite. Just before serving, add some frozen berries which will keep sangria cold, but won’t dilute it like ice cubes. You can sweeten it some more if you like (I didn’t). A little tip: put orange, lemon and lime slices into sangria just before serving, because it tends to release some bitterness into liquid after few hours.
Fruit juices and spices make this Christmas Sangria a perfect festive holiday cocktail to sip in a cold winter night.
- 3 cups red wine (merlot cabernet)
- 1/3 cup brandy or rum or vodka
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1-2 cup cherry juice or red berries juice
- 2-3 cups of assorted winter fruit (persimmon pomegranate, tangerine, lemon, lime, kiwi), chopped
- 1 tsp gingerbread spice (cinnamon nutmeg, clove, ginger)
- 1-2 cup frozen red berries (cranberry raspberry, strawberry, red currants, cherry)
- 1-2 cup Sprite or sparkling water
- sugar to taste
Put wine, brandy, orange juice, cherry juice, chopped fruit and spices to a pitcher and stir. Chill for at least 2 hours or even overnight.
Just before serving, mix in frozen berries and Sprite.
Strain if desired (to remove spices), and serve in individual glasses filled with fruit.
This recipe was first published on: December 22, 2014