Avena is a popular drink in Latin American countries. It consists of oatmeal cooked with milk and/or water, cinnamon and sugar. Traditionally, avena is served over ice, sprinkled with ground cinnamon. I turned this drink into refreshing summer iced coffee beverage by mixing avena with strong brewed coffee. I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I do!
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 3 cups milk (any kind) plus more if needed
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar or equivalent amount of sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- 3 cups strong brewed coffee (caffeinated or decaffeinated)
Put the oatmeal and milk in a saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Cook for about 10 minutes or until oatmeal is thick.
Add sugar (or sweetener) and vanilla and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or over night. Strain the liquid through a fine mesh strainer, add more milk if you like it thinner.
Combine with brewed coffee and serve in glasses over ice.