I am thrilled to share with you this recipe for healthy and light, but still very creamy Fettuccine Alfredo. It is lightened by addition of pureed cauliflower to the Alfredo sauce. That is why it is not necessary to use a lot of butter and cream.
- 1/2 lb cooked whole wheat fettuccine pasta
- 1/2 head cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 2 tbsp oil (sunflower or olive)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1-2 Tbsp cooking cream
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- a pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Cook the cauliflower in boiling water until very soft, about 20 minutes. Drain.
Sautee onion in oil until soft and translucent. Do not burn the onions.
Add the chicken stock and cream and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add cauliflower and puree with immersion blender (you can also use food processor) until creamy and smooth.
Season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Toss in the cooked fettuccine and add the grated parmesan cheese. Serve hot.