This is healthy, low carb version of the famous Italian chicken parmesan recipe.
- 2 inch boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded 1/4- thick
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs like oregano, thyme, parsley, paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese shredded
In a plate, combine whole wheat breadcrumbs with Parmesan cheese and mixed herbs.
Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour, then dip in egg and then dredge in bread crumb and Parmesan mixture.
Heat oil in a large pan. Add chicken to pan and cook until first side is golden brown, about 5 to 8 minutes. Turn chicken over. Spoon marinara sauce over chicken and top with mozzarella cheese. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook until meat is done and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.