Chicken and Rice Casserole – with butternut squash and peas.
This easy meal is so warm and comforting. Adding vegetables and replacing cream with milk makes it lighter and healthier dinner choice. Instead of butternut squash and peas, you can use any other kind of vegetables that you like.
You may also like some other chicken and rice recipes of mine like:
- 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed, 250 g
- 2 Tbsp oil sunflower or olive
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup roasted butternut squash cubes
- 3/4 cup peas fresh or frozen
- 3/4 cup rice
- seasoning (oregano thyme, paprika, chillie), to taste
- salt black pepper, to taste
In a large pan or wok, fry chicken in oil until golden. Remove from pan.
Put onion to the same pan and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and chicken broth.
In a small bowl, combine flour with milk and add to the pan. Stir until mixture boils and thickens.
Add butternut squash, peas, rice, chicken and seasonings. Transfer to oiled casserole dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in 375 F oven for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20 more minutes or until rice is cooked through.