How often do you need Enchilada Sauce when preparing a meal for your family or friends? Did you now it takes only 5 minutes to make it with simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry? If you’re trying to avoid canned food, this is right recipe for you.
I know that authentic enchilada sauce does not contain tomatoes, but I added just 1 tsp tomato paste to enhance its color.
It is so easy to make your own Homemade Enchilada Sauce from scratch, there is no need for store-bought stuff any more.
- 2 Tbsp oil vegetable or canola
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder or 1 1/2 Tbsp paprika and a pinch or chili
- 1 tsp tomato paste optional
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 3/4 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder or 1 minced garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp onion powder or 1/4 onion finely chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
In a saucepan heat oil, add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring with a wooden spoon.
Add chili powder and tomato paste and cook for about 30 seconds.
Add chicken stock, whisking constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and cook on low heat, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.