5 large Sweet potatoes – quartered
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
pinch nutmeg salt & pepper to taste
50g grated Cheddar
500g Minced Lamb or Beef
1 large Carrot
1 large Onion
200ml Beef Stock
1 tablespoon Tomato Puree
1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
1 tablespoon Flour (plain)
1/2 teaspoon Rosemary (dried)
1/2 teaspoon Thyme (dried)
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C: 350°F: Gas 4.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil, cook potatoes until tender,about 20 minutes; drain. Add milk, butter, cheddar, nutmeg, salt and pepper to potatoes and mash until smooth and fluffy.
- Dice the onion and carrot. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion and carrot. Fry for 5-8 minutes stirring occasionally until the onion is lighlty browned.
- Add the minced lamb and fry for a further 10 minutes, stirring and breaking up the mince with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the flour. Add the beef stock, rosemary, thyme and tomato puree. Season with black pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Spread meat mixture in a square casserole, spread mashed potatoes over top and bake 35-45 minutes until heated through. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with grated cheese and place under a very hot grill.