25 g (0.9 oz) fresh yeast
1/2 cup milk
550 g (1.25 lb) flour
170 g (6 oz) sugar
250 g (0.5 lb) butter
a pinch of salt
grated zest of 1 lemon
150 g (5 oz) candied lemon and orange rinds (diced)
50 g (1.7 oz) almonds, peeled
50 g (1.7 oz) granulated sugar
- Combine the yeast with the warm milk and 1 tsp sugar. Mix in 2 cups of the flour, and set aside to rise for 1 hour.
- Press on the dough to deflate it, put in the mixer bowl along with 4 eggs, remaining sugar, remaining flour, 3 tablespoons of butter and a pinch of salt. Mix well, and set aside to rise until it doubles in volume.
- Knead the dough once more, adding remaining butter, sugar, lemon zest and the candied lemon and orange peel. Set aside to rise for at least 10 hours or overnight.
- Divide the dough into 3 pieces (1 longer piece for the body and 2 smaller pieces for the wings). Fit into a dove-shaped mold, place on a baking sheet and let rise for half an hour.
- Brush the dough with the remaining egg, top the surface with almonds, pressing them in slightly, and then sprinkle with the granulated sugar crystals. Pre-heat the oven to 190 C (375 F) and bake for 15 minutes. Lower the heat to 165 C (325 F) and cook for another 20 minutes. Bake until brown on top and slender wooden skewer inserted into center comes out clean.