650 g (1.4 lb) all-purpose flour
50 g (1.7 oz) baker’s yeast
150 g (5 oz) sugar
¼ l (8.5 fl oz; 1 cup) warm milk
200 g 200 g (7 oz) butter
5 egg yolks
1 teaspoon salt
pinch of nutmeg
zest of 1 lemon
100 g (3.5 oz) candied lemon peel, diced
50 g (1.7 oz) candied orange peel, diced
150 g (5 oz) raisins
- Sift four in a large bowl. Mix the yeast with the flour, milk and little sugar. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Add melted butter, egg yolks, spices, lemon zest and flour. Knead nead for 5 to 10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic. Let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Add raisins, lemon and orange peel. Place dough in the mold, cover with a clean cloth and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 C (392 F). Butter and flour a panettone mold or other high-sided mold, at least 7 inches tall and 8 inches wide.
- Cut a cross on top of the cake with a sharp knife and bake for 1 ½ hours. Cool on wire rack.