Filipino Egg Pie is a classic Filipino dessert resembling an Egg Custard Pie or a Greek Egg Custard Pie. You could say it is a distant cousin of Magic Cake. The pie consists of a pie shell filled with custard filling made of eggs yolks beaten with evaporated milk, sugar, vanilla and lemon juice. At the end whipped egg whites are folded in. The pie is baked until filling is firm and the top is golden.
You can make your own homemade pie crust or buy a ready made one at your local grocery store to make it even more simple. Filipino Egg Pie is a great dessert or an afternoon snack for the whole family.
- 1 homeade pie crust (9 inch)
- 4 large eggs
- 1¾ cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 165 C (330 F).
- Whip 2 egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Heat evaporated milk.
- Whip 2 whole eggs, 2 eggs yolks and sugar until creamy. Add vanilla extract and lemon juice. Pour in hot milk and stir well. Fold beaten egg whites into the mixture.
- Pour the filling into unbaked pie crust (don't prick the dough with a fork or the filling will leak out). Bake for 30-40 minutes or until firm. Allow to cool before serving.
A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand. —