Homemade pear butter spiced with vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom and orange zest.
Serves: about 7 half-pint jars
- 4 lbs pears, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3-4 cups sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- In a large pot, combine the pears, water, orange zest and juice. Cook until the pears are completely soft, about 20 minutes.
- Puree mixture in the food processor just until a uniform texture is achieved, but do not liquefy.
- Measure the resulting purée, and pour into a large pan. For every cup of purée, add ½ cup of sugar. Add remaining ingredients. Cook on medium heat, stirring often until the mixture is quite thick and holds it shape to a spoon.
- Pour into hot, sterilized jars and seal, leaving ¼-inch head space. Place jars in canner, bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes.
We must have a pie. Stress cannot exist in the presence of a pie. —