If you’re a fan of fruity cakes, try out this recipe for Strawberry Upside Down Cake. Even though it is made from scratch, it is still very simple and tastes amazing!
The cake itself is dense and moist, similar to a pound cake, flavored with vanilla and lemon zest. Strawberries are immersed in butter and brown sugar mixture which turns into caramel topping while baking.
This cake can be made with fresh or frozen strawberries, so it can be enjoyed any time of year. Great with a dollop of whipped cream or a side of ice cream, Strawberry Upside Down Cake is a cake that can’t be resisted.
- ¼ stick (28 g; 4 oz; 2 Tbsp) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup (50 g; 4 Tbsp) brown sugar
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup (93 g; 3.3 oz) white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (113 g; 4 oz; 8 Tbsp) unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a pinch of lemon zest
- 1 cup (128 g; 4.5 oz) all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- Place the butter and sugar in a saucepan. Heat and stir until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour into oiled 8 inch (20 cm) round cake pan.
- Arrange strawberry slices over the butter and sugar mixture in a single layer.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix together eggs, sugar and salt. Add melted butter, yogurt, vanilla extract and lemon zest and mix to incorporate.
- Add flour and baking powder and mix until combined (do not overmix). Pour the batter over strawberry layer. Place in 350 F (175 C) preheated oven. Bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool for about 10 minutes. Then run a sharp knife around the edge of the cake and then invert the cake onto a serving plate.
The only time to eat diet food is while you’re waiting for the steak to cook. —