Pumpkin Magic Cake – autumn flavor of the amazing 1 batter-3 layers-magic custard cake.
If you follow my blog, you know that this spring I experimented with various Magic Cake flavors: from vanilla to fruit and chocolate. I even turned them into lemon cupcakes. Now it was time to try Pumpkin Magic Cake version.
I was afraid that pumpkin will make the batter too thick and that it will not separate. But, thank God, the batter separated as soon as I poured it into my Pyrex dish, even before I put it in the oven.
I also added some pumpkin spice, maple syrup and brown sugar instead of white sugar. Even though the recipe for basic Magic Cake calls for 3/4 cup sugar, here it is not enough. I would suggest using 1 cup or even 1 1/4 cup of brown sugar.
If you plan to make this cake for the Halloween party, you can decorate it with ghosts made from piped whipped cream. Use mini chocolate chips for the eyes.
Carrot Magic Cake with step-by-step instructions.
- 4 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 – 1¼ cups brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1 stick + 2 tsp (125 g) butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1½ Tbsp pumpkin spice
- ¾ cup flour
- 2 cups (500 ml) milk, lukewarm
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix egg whites until stiff.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks with the brown sugar, water and vanilla until light. Add melted butter, maple syrup, pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice. Continue beating for another minute. Then add the flour and mix it in (do not overmix).
- Add the lukewarm milk and beat until incorporated.
- GENTLY fold in beaten egg whites using a spatula.
- Pour batter into a greased 8 inch x 8 inch (20 x 20 cm) baking dish and bake in preheated 325 F (160 C) oven for about 60 minutes or until the top is dark golden.
- Cool in the pan for at least 3 hours.
- Decorate with whipped cream ghosts with chocolate chips eyes (optional).
For basic Magic Cake recipe:
Save the planet. Its the only one with CHOCOLATE.