Old Fashioned Bread Pudding is a dessert popular in many countries throughout the world – from Europe, North and south America to Asia.
It is a genius way to use left-over bread. The bread is soaked in the milk and eggs mixture. Then other ingredients are added, like raisins and other dried fruit, spices (like vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon) and liqueur (like rum, bourbon or whiskey). In the end it is all baked in the oven for about an hour.
- 2 cups milk
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups cubed stale French bread
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup whiskey (or rum)
- ½ cup raisins (soaked in whiskey for 2 hours)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) .
- Scald the milk, add the butter and pour hot liquid over the bread cubes. Soak about 5 minutes then add sugar, eggs, whiskey and spices. Add the raisins.
- Pour mixture into buttered baking dish. Set the dish in a pan of hot water and bake until knife inserted in the center comes out clean, or about one hour.
- Serve with brandy butter (hard sauce), rum sauce or custard sauce.
My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished 2 bags of M&M’s and a chocolate cake. I feel better already. —