30-Minute One Pot Spaghetti dish is comfort food at its finest, its fastest and its easiest! It’s hard to beat homemade pasta recipe (from scratch) that can be whipped up in less than half an hour. Instead of using jar sauce, you can create your own fresh meal with no effort, even if you’re camping. It is certainly a lifesaver for busy parents and working professionals.
This simple dinner dish is suitable for vegetarians and vegans. You can further enrich it by adding some vegetables like spinach or broccoli. Meat lovers can add some bacon, hamburger, sausage, chicken, turkey, beef, meatballs or even tuna to the sauce. Of course, you can use other type of pasta, like ravioli or tortellini, as well.
Some people prefer One Pot Spaghetti to be thinner, more like a soup, while I wanted to achieve pasta-in-sauce consistency. One more advantage of this kind of cooking is that all the starch from spaghetti goes into the sauce and makes it very creamy without addition of heavy cream or butter.
- 400 g (12 oz) spaghetti
- 6-8 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, very finely chopped orgrated
- about 4 garlic cloves
- 3 cups (800 g) canned chopped tomatoes with liquid
- 2 Tbsp tomato puree (thick tomato paste)
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- about 6 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- parsley, basil, oregano, thyme, allspice (to taste)
- salt, pepper
- In a pot, heat the oil and saute onion until translucent. Add carrots and garlic and saute for 1 more minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, sugar, spices and about 4 cups broth. Bring to boil and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add spaghetti and simmer until the pasta is tender, about 15 minutes. Stirr from time to time and add more broth while cooking to achieve consisteny you like.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese (optional).