1 kg (2 lbs) potatoes, quartered
50 g (1.7 oz) grated Cheddar
pinch nutmeg, salt
750 g (1 1/2 lb) beef, minced
1 onion, chopped
2 cups mixed vegetables
salt , pepper
8 tbs butter
1/2 cup beef broth
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Bring large pot of water to a boil, cook potatoes until tender, about 20 minutes; drain. Add 4 tbs butter, cheddar, nutmeg and salt to potatoes and mash until smooth.
- Dice the onion and vegetables. Heat remaining 4 tbs butter in a large saucepan and add the onion and vegetables. Fry for 5-8 minutes stirring occasionally until the onion is lighlty browned.
- Add the minced beef and fry for a further 10 minutes, stirring and breaking up the mince. Add worcesterchire sauce and beef broth and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Spread meat mixture in a square casserole, spread mashed potatoes over top and bake 35-45 minutes until until potatoes are golden brown and pie is bubbling.