Chickpea (or garbanzo) sweet potato patties are a tasty veggie alternative to meat burgers. Serve these low fat cakes in burger buns or wrapped in lettuce and drizzled with ketchup or sweet chilli sauce.
- 3/4 pound (800 g) sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cup chickpeas (garbanzo beans) cooked
- 2 scallions, cut
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons bread flour
- 6 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 cup peas (no need to defrost)
Cook sweet potatoes in boiling water until soft. Drain. Transfer to a food processor.
Add chickpeas, scallions, garlic, cumin, ginger, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Puree until smooth.
Transfer to a bowl and stir in bread flour and whole wheat flour. Then stir in frozen peas. Form into patties about 1/2-inch thick and 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
Over medium heat, heat oil in a skillet. Add the patties and cook until lightly browned on each side and heated through, about 10 minutes.
This recipe was first published on: January 7, 2013.
Recipe adapted from here.