5 egg yolks
1 whole egg
2/3 cup (120 g) sugar
3 cups (300 g) flour
2/3 ounce (20 g) baker’s yeast
8 ounces (200 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup cream
1 lemon, zest only, grated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine yeast with 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1 egg yolk, 1/3 cup flour and sufficient water to make a soft loaf and blend well. Cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place for 2 hours, or until doubled in bulk.
- On a clean work surface, mound half the remaining flour and make a well in the center. Add 3 egg yolks, 3 tablespoons of the butter and the yeast combination from above and mix well. Knead the dough for 5 to 10 minutes. Cover the dough and let rise for 2 hours.
- Punch down the dough and add the remaining flour,sugar, whole egg and the yolk. Knead well. Cover and let rise for 2 hours.
- Add the lemon zest and the vanilla extract, and then knead in the cream. Roll into a rectangle. Cut the butter into chunks and place in the center of the dough. Fold the dough back onto itself from both directions to make 3 layers and roll it out again. Let the dough rest for half an hour, fold again and roll out two more times, letting the dough rest in a warm place in between.
- Butter and flour pandoro mold. Punch the dough down and roll into a ball. Place the ball in the mold, and let rise until the dough reaches the upper rim of the pan.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven at 400 F(200 C). After 30 mins. reduce the temperature to 360 F (180 C) and bake for another 30 mins. Before serving it, dust it with abundant powdered sugar.
- Buy pandoro pan!